NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES
Newspapers and magazines are helpful to job seekers for four reasons:
- Want ads, of course. But remember that newspapers, like job boards, cover way less than 100% of the vacancies. In big cities where advertising is costly, many employers use newspaper ads as a last resort. if at all. Newspapers' share of the job ad business has been shrinking for years. Although ads may be the first thing that comes to mind, advertising is no longer the most valuable service newspapers provide job seekers. Jobs that aren't advertised anywhere comprise the hidden job market, and, as described below, newspapers can help you navigate this unadvertised job market.
- Announcements of business expansions and staff promotions that may create vacancies.
- Archived stories about outfits you're planning to interview with. The hometown paper carries stories that never make it into the national media. For smaller firms that don't sell stock to the public, local media may be the only source. Current issues of most business magazines and larger daily papers can be searched on the Web. Your librarian or career center may have additional sources.
- Practical details about the place you're relocating to, or considering. Local papers provide information about everything from housing costs to the political climate. For basic statistical comparisons of 354 metro areas, see if your library has the mostly well-reviewed Places Rated Almanac. Of course, before you relocate, heed the unfavorable reviews and double-check the stats most important to you. Then, check the newspapers and visit to observe things the stats don't cover. Finally, rent in the new community before you buy.
Business magazines and newspapers can be helpful, too. Your librarian can lead you to specialized business periodicals. Many such publications are available free to qualified subscribers. Below are a few general business publications; there are others.
- Baltimore Business Journal
- Washington Business Journal
- Business Monthly, Columbia
- Maryland Daily Record
- Government Computer News
- Baltimore Sun, including indexed job ads
- Baltimore Examiner
- Washington Post, including indexed job ads
- Easton Star-Democrat
- Cecil Whig
- Salisbury Times
- St. Mary's Today
- Annapolis Capital, including indexed job ads and archived stories
- Baltimore Afro-American
- The Aegis, Bel Air
- Laurel Leader, Towson Times, other community papers produced by Patuxent Publishing Co.
- Carroll County Times
- Gaithersburg Gazette, other Montgomery County papers, including indexed job ads and archived stories
- Frederick News-Post, including indexed job ads
- Hagerstown Herald-Mail
- Cumberland Times-News, including indexed job ads
- Wilmington News-Journal
- Dover Post
- Lancaster Newspapers, including indexed job ads
- York Daily Record, including indexed job ads and archived stories
- Hanover Evening Sun
- Gettysburg Times
- Morgantown Dominion-Post
Maryland Careers Home Page